Thursday, June 30, 2011

2011 Continental Congress - Wednesday

What a jam-packed day at DAR headquarters! First, no complaints about the bus ride in-arrived on time and stopped for me. Catching the early bus allowed me to arrive in plenty of time for the 8:00 a.m. Chapter Achievement forum.

Ladies, the form has been changed for 2012 reporting! One of the best changes is to allow electronic entry-what a pain it was this year to gather all the signatures needed. Sorry if I'm so eager to do things electronically-must be because of working with computers for nearly 50 years.

Next on the agenda was the Heritage Club breakfast. As a member of the club, members can attend a breakfast or a lunch depending on level of donation. The food is good and there is an opportunity to make new friends from all over the country.

Following the breakfast, I wanted to view the Commemorative events posters to see the winning entry and the State winners. This year the posters commemorated 9/11. We have some talented ladies in the DAR! Next year the poster contest will commemorate the War of 1812.


Networking was next - the vendors had been open for a while and needed my attention. I was blown away by the Miss Virginia Mary Cabell Junior Doll. She comes with thirty outfits with twenty-nine of them made by one DAR member (she won in the American Heritage Fiber Arts division nationally for this effort). I bought some tickets-the doll would be great fun for me and my grand daughters!

The afternoon session was hearing from the Registrar General about applications and Is That Service Right? I'll share the handout with my Lineage Research and Supplemental team upon my return.

I took time out from the busy day to have a relaxing dinner with Marston before Opening Night festivities. We went to the Jockey Club in the Fairfax Hotel. Food and service were top-notch.

Opening night was fantastic! Did you watch Congress Online? If not, you missed an awesome tribute to 9/11. It "kicked off" a year-long commemoration of the events at each location on September 11, 2001. We were convinced to visit the Pentagon Memorial on Sunday morning before we head home.

Well - it's off to the first Business session!

No comments:

Post a Comment